At St Lawrence we are committed to working in partnership with Christian organisations and churches across the world to participate in God’s mission to all nations. Our World Church Committee seeks to promote awareness and understanding of God’s call to mission, as well as to build links with a range of individuals, projects and organisations in other parts of the world. If you would like to receive news updates from any of our World Church Links please contact the chair of our World Church Committee via the Parish Office (email firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 01367 358653).
As a church we provide both prayer and financial support to ministries in Chile, Africa, the Middle East, Nepal, Pakistan and the Diocese of Dornakal in Southern India (the link Diocese for the Diocese of Gloucester), through mission agencies CMS, iServe Africa, SAT-7 and Scripture Union. Visits by some of our mission partners to our church, as well as visits by members of our congregation to our mission partners, have both challenged and encouraged us. We particularly partner with:
- Local Partner Gabriel Parra, with his wife Rebeca and children Eloísa and Simon.
- Gabriel is now an ordained minister and Rebeca a Licensed Lay Reader (after training with Daniel and Ellelein Kirk), and Gabriel is starting training for ordination. Gabriel is leading a new church plant in Playa Ancha, Valparaiso, which opened in in November 2021.
Ram Prasad and Keshari in Rochdale (UK):
Their UK visa has been renewed until December 2026 They will be returning to Nepal for a short break in Feb 2024. Although Ram and Keshari are not one of our formal World Church links, we continue to support them in prayer in this new ministry.
- Ram Prasad Shrestha was the founder of the National Mission Commission of Nepal, involved in training and equipping missionaries.
- Our financial and prayer support continues to the NMCN in Kathmandu, under the new director, Mrs Indira Thapa.
- Raheel Iqbal is the National Director of Scripture Union Pakistan which works with children and young people, and publishes Bible reading notes.
- Click here for more information on the SU website.
Diocese of Dornakal Southern India:
- In June 2021 a new Bishop of Dornakal was consecrated, the Right Rev. Padma Rao Kodirekka. The diocese of Dornakal runs the Shriver Memorial High School for the Deaf. In this society deaf children struggle with few opportunities. Here at this school they have many opportunities to learn and grow and the staff are able to witness their faith in Jesus and love for others daily. Have a look at some pictures taken on a visit to Dornakal by Bishop Rachel here.
- Harrison Mungai is working with iServe Africa, based in Kenya – an indigenous mission organisation with a vision of gospel transformation throughout Africa. Through a Graduate Apprenticeship Programme they give young graduates opportunities in Christian ministry, and training towards future Christian leadership.
- based locally in Chippenham, SAT-7 has a vision to see a growing Church in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA); created by Middle Eastern Christians in partnership with Christians from around the world with more than 100 Middle Eastern Christians serving this ministry.
- SAT-7 aims to be a voice of comfort and strength in the MENA regions through its Christian teaching and worship broadcasts on several channels, especially to the persecuted church of the regions.
- Click here for a link to their website for more information.