At St Lawrence we are committed to working in partnership with Christian organisations and churches across the world to participate in God’s mission to all nations. Our World Church Committee seeks to promote awareness and understanding of God’s call to mission, as well as to build links with a range of individuals, projects and organisations in other parts of the world. If you would like to receive news updates from any of our World Church Links please contact the chair of our World Church Committee via the Parish Office (email email@example.com, tel 01367 358653).
As a church we provide both prayer and financial support to ministries in Chile, Africa, Nepal, Pakistan and the Diocese of Dornakal in Southern India (the link Diocese for the Diocese of Gloucester), through mission agencies CMS, iServe Africa and Scripture Union. Visits by some of our mission partners to our church, as well as visits by members of our congregation to our mission partners, have challenged and encouraged us. We particularly partner with:
- Local Partner Gabriel Parra, with his wife Rebeca and daughter Eloísa.
- Gabriel and Rebeca are Licensed Lay Readers (after training with Daniel and Ellelein Kirk), and Gabriel is starting training for ordination. He is now a church-planting Curate in Valparaiso, with a new Church Plant opening November 2021.
CMS in Nepal:
- Ram Prasad Shrestha was the founder of the National Mission Commission of Nepal, involved in training and equipping missionaries. In 2013 a group of 13 parishioners visited Ram Prasad in Nepal to see first hand what ministry was like for him and to find out more about how we could better support the work he was doing.
Ram Prasad and his wife Keshari, in early 2021, started a new ministry in Rochdale (UK) working among asylum seekers and refugees. We continue to support Ram and Keshari in prayer in this new ministry.
Meanwhile our financial and prayer support continues to the NMCN in Kathmandu, under the new director, Mrs Indira Thapa.
- Asif Khalid, National Director of SU Pakistan. The SU ministry is primarily trying to reach children and young people through Bible reading notes and holiday camps.
Diocese of Dornakal Southern India:
- In June 2021 a new Bishop of Dornakal was consecrated, the Rt Rev. Padma Rao Kodirekka. Dornakal Diocese runs the Shriver Memorial High School for the Deaf. In this society deaf children struggle with few opportunities. Here at this school they have many opportunities to learn and grow and the staff are able to witness their faith in Jesus and love for others daily. Have a look at some pictures taken on a visit to Dornakal by Bishop Rachel here.
- Harrison Mungai is working with iServe Africa, based in Kenya – an indigenous mission organisation with a vision of gospel transformation throughout Africa. Through a Graduate Apprenticeship Programme they give young graduates opportunities in Christian ministry, and training towards future Christian leadership.
- Through ministry to children and young people, Scripture Union seek imaginative ways to connect to the 95% of children and young people who have no contact with church – inviting children and young people to explore the difference Jesus can make to the challenges and adventures of life. SU also publishes Bible Reading notes for all ages.