The Shelley’s Walk improvements have been completed – see here
Public Notice – September/October 2023
Our Project Inspire has now reached the next very important stage – the display of a public notice and final consultation stage.
The key elements of this project are:
Restoration and reordering works to comprise:
- The reopening of the north porch as the main entrance with external timber door and internal doors.
- The construction of a new limestone flag floor at a higher level than existing enabling level access by all abilities from the north porch to the communion rail.
- The relocation of three existing ledgerstones, previously moved.
- Raising the pulpit and relocation of the font to the east end.
- The removal of the deal pews (retaining four shortened pews in the chancel) and replacement with ‘Theo’ design chairs.
- The provision of a hybrid heating system including underfloor heating in the raised floor, trench heaters, air source heat pumps and modifications to the existing boilers.
- Three phase electricity supply, rewiring the power and lighting circuits and provision of enhanced lighting.
- The provision of new audio-visual system with associated WIFI and projector screen above the chancel arch.
- Repairs to areas of lime plaster, cleaning and repainting of the walls.
- Minor roof repairs as may be identified during the works.
- The provision of a gallery at the west end similar to that in place prior to 1881.
- The provision of a kitchen in the south west corner of the church.
- The provision of two toilets – one for all abilities – to the north west corner of the church.
- The provision of rooms for Sunday school and bible studies at the west end including occasional use of the ringing chamber.
- The provision of a timber floor to the lower tower room.
- Retaining the side chapel with some minor reordering including removal of the C20 reredos.
- Reopening and restoration of the south door.
- Modifications to the vestry for shared use as an office, provision of roof lights to provide enhanced natural light and a reclaimed stone footpath to provide level access to the vestry external door.
- External works including locating the air source heat pumps adjacent to the south wall of the tower.
- The construction of two small churchyard maintenance buildings on the south side of the churchyard.
The faculty notice is being displayed on the church door, the notice case in the west porch and in the window of Church Cottage for 28 days from 6th September 2023.
Members of the church family and the wider community are invited to make final comments to the Registrar of the Diocese of Gloucester within the period of this notice. Details of where and how to send any comments – plus other essential information – are contained in the notice.
In addition, during this period a wide selection of documents and drawings relating to our proposals are on display in the church during normal opening hours.
These documents are also available on this website – please click here to access the full set of documents.
The brochure describing our exciting project to restore and re-order St Lawrence to make it fit for today and for future generations is still available to all at the back of the church. Please take a copy, and once you have read it, carefully consider how you might respond to the appeal to pledge funds to the project to enable it to proceed. To read the brochure online please click the link:
Project Inspire Brochure 2023
If you have any questions about the project or the pledging process please contact Andrew, Gareth, the Churchwardens, Nigel Jones (Project Inspire Chair) or David Turtle (fundraising lead) all of whom will be delighted to talk to you – please make initial contact via email.
If you would like to contribute to this project please
and reference your gift ‘Inspire’.
If you would like to make a pledge for the project please use this form: Project Inspire Pledge Form